A leading cosmetics supplier required an automated solution to allow each of their parcels to be weighed & measured and the info printed on a carrier label. This would have the effect of automating the despatch process and required PJP to create what is usually referred to as a DWS (Dimensioning Weighing and Scanning) System. With the brief established, PJP designed and constructed an automated system to do the following:
- Boxes are driven to a weigh scale conveyor and a 2D barcode is scanned.
- The label data from the client database is matched to the correct order.
- Our DWS unit then automatically takes the weight and all dimensions of the parcel and outputs this data to our Programmable Logic Controller (PLC).
- Once the parcel arrives at the print and apply machine the barcode is scanned and a label is produced containing the shipping address, dimensions and weight.
- The label is then automatically applied to the parcel and the order is dispatched to the relevant carrier for delivery.
The system includes a reject lane to eject any parcels not expected at the DWS which allows the despatch line to run continuously.
PJP Conveyors’ DWS solutions are available for a huge range of product sizes and systems are tailored to client requirements. We can interface with in-house systems such as ERP or 3rd party Warehouse Management Systems to create a fully automated despatch process. Contact us to find out more.